Monday, November 8, 2010

Meatless Monday: Zucchini Soup

One of my fave things in this world is Mems' Zucchini Soup.

It's warm and spicy and filling and reminds me of my childhood.  Now that there's a nip in the air Mems decided it was time to make a pot and I decided to help.  Of course by help I mean be in the kitchen while Mems cooked.
So we collected the ingredients and I turned on the Merle Haggard Pandora station and Mems went to work.

 First up carrots, cleaned and sliced... then boiled in some water.




She sliced and diced the zucchini while I was messing with the dogs... so no pictures of that.  But I was back in time for the garlic!  I think garlic is my favorite food.  I never have to worry about an evil vampite coming after me... too much garlic in my system.

Then the tomatoes, garlic and onions keep boiling.

Then some basil and zucchini get added to the mix to boil till all the veggies are done.

Then it's to the blender to puree the mixture into a smooth soup.  We also add tofu when we blend it.  It makes it creamier and more filling.

Then it's all finished except for salt and Louisiana Hot Sauce to taste.

I love this soup and I've raved about it for years.  Eat it hot or cold, with crackers or rice or my fave quinoa.

Zucchini Soup Recipe
1/2 Cup diced onion
2 large clove of garlic
2 Cups thinly sliced zucchini
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup thinly sliced carrots
2 teaspoon basil
4 cups water
Salt, Pepper, Louisiana Hot Sauce to taste.

Combine onions, carrots and garlic with water.  Cook about 10 minutes.  Add tomatoes and spices, cook until carrots are almost done.  Then add zucchini and cook until veggies are very done.

Process in blender with tofu until it's creamy.  Then add salt and pepper and hot sauce to taste. 


1 comment:

  1. Sounds delish! Thanks for the recipe (tell Mems thanks too)!

    ReplyDelete